From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-02 12:30:19

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel Yap" <yap_noel_at_[hidden]>

> > > If Boost depends on
> > > Boost.Python, and Boost.Python depends on Python,
> > then
> > > Boost depends on Python (ie dependency is
> > transitive).
> > > Would you agree that dependency is transitive?
> >
> > Yes, dependency is transitive, but your premise is
> > false: Boost does not
> > depend on Python.
>
> Am I mistaken that Boost.Python depends on Python or
> that Boost depends on Boost.Python?

You're mistaken that Boost depends on Boost.Python. In some sense, there
is no single entity called "Boost".

> Why download Boost.Python at all if you don't need or
> want it?

Because making it possible to release Boost in pieces is too hard for
the Boost maintainers and developers.

> > > Why complicate the entire Boost build due to a
> > > dependence of only one of its components?
> >
> > Why make assumptions about which things cause
> > complications for the
> > build?
>
> There is a difference between complications and making
> something more complicated.

<swirl>I'm lost. My point is that the existence of Boost.Python doesn't
in any way complicate the build process for other parts of Boost.

Bottom line: you have done nothing other than make insistent suggestions
which (though they would make life easier for people like you) would
massively complicate life for Boost's volunteer developers and
maintainers. Responding to this sort of thing is an enormous waste of
bandwidth for people like me, and I'm going to stop now. I request that
you do some legwork and find a way to make an actual contribution, or at
least stop complaining about the status quo.

It would be great to have a mature release process which will work for
developers, maintainers, CMs, and users. Current efforts are focused on
making incremental steps towards the ideal, rather than introducing
massively disruptive whole-project changes like putting everything in
separate namespaces.

-Dave