From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-02 15:10:31

----- Original Message -----
From: "William E. Kempf" <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>

> So, before any effort gets underway I'd hope that we could pinpoint at
least
> a few people interested in volunteering with this effort, and then to
> establish an online community for designing and implementing the
solution.

I'm interested in kibbitzing, at least.

> If I get a few dedicated volunteers I'll take on the responsibility of
> setting up this community, and will help with coordinating the efforts
of
> both the distribution and the developer communities. Beyond that,
however,
> I don't have the expertise necessary for developing a solution here,
just to
> be clear on what I'm volunteering to do.

Bill, thanks so much for volunteering at all!

IMO the first and most-important questions to answer are these:

1. What platforms can we support?

2. What should a completed boost installation look like on these
platforms (files, directories, symlinks, etc.)?

3. What shall constitute a "successful" installation?

The lack of answers to these questions (especially #2) is one thing that
has kept us from trying to address installation with Boost.Build.

-Dave