From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-02 15:32:43

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] boost organization and installation

Please do! :)

> > If I get a few dedicated volunteers I'll take on the responsibility of
> > setting up this community, and will help with coordinating the efforts
> of
> > both the distribution and the developer communities. Beyond that,
> however,
> > I don't have the expertise necessary for developing a solution here,
> just to
> > be clear on what I'm volunteering to do.
>
> Bill, thanks so much for volunteering at all!
>
> IMO the first and most-important questions to answer are these:
>
> 1. What platforms can we support?
>
> 2. What should a completed boost installation look like on these
> platforms (files, directories, symlinks, etc.)?
>
> 3. What shall constitute a "successful" installation?
>
> The lack of answers to these questions (especially #2) is one thing that
> has kept us from trying to address installation with Boost.Build.

I fully agree that these are questions that need answered before a solution
can be made. There are probably several other questions as well. My hope
is that the folks who volunteer to work on this project will be domain
experts that can answer these questions.

But other then pointing out that these questions need to be answered (thanks
for doing so), it's premature to try and start answering them just yet.
First we should find the necessary volunteers and establish the "community"
needed for coordinating this effort... then we can start to address specific
questions and needs.

This post does illustrate something that I had hoped was obvious, but that I
may need to clarify, however. The efforts will need to incorporate the
goals and efforts of Boost.Build as well.

OK, let me make this a bit more of an official request. If anyone is
interested in volunteering for this effort send me a private e-mail. Once I
have, let's say at least 5, committed volunteers I'll start the effort of
creating and coordinating the needed community.

Bill Kempf