From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-04 16:37:19

At 02:20 PM 5/3/2002, David B. Held wrote:

>I would like to see people comment on the various questions:
>
>1. Is a policy-based smart pointer still worth pursuing,

Very much so.

> or are there too
>many contentious issues that will never get resolved?

Extensive discussions about the design or implementation of a policy-based
smart pointer doesn't mean it is a bad idea. In fact, the opposite is
true. People are willing to put a lot of effort into discussion and trial
implementations because they think a policy-based smart pointer is worth
great effort to perfect.

As far as resolving issues goes, it is pretty simple. Ask Andrei. Even if
a bunch of people offer opinions, and some help with the actual code,
Andrei is still the lead. It is his library.

Boost isn't a committee and isn't a democracy.

Library developers make the final decision about the features of their
library.

>3. Which is best for Boost,

>C) shared_ptr + smart_ptr

Boost is plenty broad enough to support both, until one evolves to the
point where the developers involved agree one should swallow the other.

> and which is best for a [standard] library proposal?

Both have to be finished and stable before it is 100% possible to answer
that question.

--Beman