From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-03 13:20:12

I would like to see people comment on the various questions:

1. Is a policy-based smart pointer still worth pursuing, or are there too
many
contentious issues that will never get resolved?

2. If a policy-based smart pointer *is* worth pursuing, is
boost::loki::smart_ptr
heading in the right direction? Is there a better candidate? Are there
specific
changes that could be made that would make it better?

3. Which is best for Boost, and which is best for a library proposal?
A) just shared_ptr
B) just smart_ptr
C) shared_ptr + smart_ptr
D) other

Some people who have weighed in on this topic before, but not recently,
whose opinions I would especially like to see now (if they could be so
gracious) are: Dietmar Kuehl, Fernando Cacciola, Douglas Gregor, Gary
Powell, and Darin Adler. Of course, I'd like to see Peter Dimov, Dave
Abrahams, Greg Colvin, Beman Dawes, Phil Nash, Gennadiy Rozental,
and Andrei Alexandrescu also weigh in, just to clarify their positions; but
I can more or less infer where they stand from recent comments. And
opinions from people who haven't spoken up much yet are also welcome.

Dave