From: Peter Simons (simons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-19 12:53:49

If anyone is interested in the following component, I would really
appreciate any kind of feedback, thoughts, proposals for improvement,
etc. Whatever comes to your mind!

    smart_enum<>

    The library provides a generic wrapper class for enum. The problem
    with the standard enum type is that it is hard to use it in
    arithmetic expressions (such as ++my_enum) without losing type-
    and range-checking. The smart_enum<> class allows for compile-time
    and run-time checked manipulation of the underlying enum without
    significant performance penality. In addition, some rather funny
    types of smart_enum<> are included in the library, which allow for
    such things as wrapped enumerations, etc.

Source code and documentation are available via

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost-sandbox/
or http://cryp.to/boost-sandbox/libs/smart_enum/smart_enum.htm