From: Herve Bronnimann (hbr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-22 16:05:02

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 06:03:25PM +0200, Dirk Gerrits wrote:
> I wanted to contact Dietmar Kuehl about his beta priority queues
> library

Dietmar, Dirk, others: are there any plans to take care of the beta
priority queues? Because I was thinking of doing something with it (as a
"public service" if you will), and also because I wanted specifically to:

  1. add allocators in the design, to be able to take advantage of
     boost::fast_pool_allocator
  2. make it STL-compatible by using min-heaps rather than max-heaps
     (that' actually a piont that we could discuss forever I guess)
  3. adding merge operations for heaps (esp. fibonacci heaps)
  4. adding small-rank operations (second_top, third_top?) if it
     would not surcharge the interface too much
  4. perhaps adding Chazelle's soft heaps (used for approximate sorting
     and minimum spanning tree)
  5. remove splay heaps and put skew heaps instead (same idea, but
     specifically for heaps)
  6. put an adapter for set and map tree-like data structures (so you'd
     have the splay heap back, but also red-black heap, avl-heap, etc. by
     the same token)
  7. in the long term, develop a similar library for set and map data
     structures (splay trees, avl trees, red-black trees, skip lists)
     but that wouldn't be part of heaps, would only affect item 6.

If you plan to do anything about it, I can send you concrete ideas and
proposals along the lines above.
Regards,

--
Hervé