From: John Maddock (john_maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-23 05:46:27

> I didn't build the library from source. I installed it
> from the debian package. After looking briefly over
> the compiler status I was under the impression the
> regex library has some problems with various compilers
> on different platforms.

There are quite a few new problems that have arisen from placing template
instances in the lib rather than in the users object files (these should be
fixed real soon now). However regex with gcc should be absolutely fine (at
least for narrow character regexes, wide character versions are a different
matter as the necessary platform support is often missing on *nix type
systems).

Can you conduct the following tests for me please?

cd into boost-root/libs/regex/test/regress

then try:

g++ -I../../../../ regex_test.cpp

This builds the regex test program as a single file (without the need to
link to a lib file), if this fails then your g++ distro is almost certainly
broken.

If this passes then cd into boost-root/libs/regex/build

and try:

rm -rf gcc
make -f gcc.mak
cd ../test/regress
make -f gcc.mak

which will build and test the lib with g++, if that works then you have a
working .a file.

John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/index.htm