From: Pete Becker (petebecker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-13 07:47:12

At 01:41 PM 6/13/2002 +0300, Peter Dimov wrote:
>From: "Pete Becker" <petebecker_at_[hidden]>
> > Standards are about stability. The only thing that could be done along
>this
> > line would be to deprecate it in the next version of the standard, thus
> > warning people that it might go away in the subsequent version of the
> > standard.
>
>From: "Howard Hinnant" <hinnant_at_[hidden]>
> >
> > Yes, I know of Metrowerks customers who use it, and depend on it being a
> > packed bit representation.
>
>The real question is: are there customers that use vector<T> in a generic
>algorithm and depend on the fact that, when T = bool, they get something
>that is radically different from the other vector instantiations?

vector<bool> is specified in the standard. There are procedures for
removing things from the standard. They take a long time, and with good
reason. If you want to propose a replacement for vector<bool> that retains
all of its current semantics you're talking about something that can be
done much more quickly. But I suspect that that won't do what you want.

But this is not the appropriate place for this discussion.

        -- Pete

Dinkumware, Ltd.
"Genuine Software"