From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-14 11:57:33

At 08:24 AM 6/12/2002, Dan'l Miller wrote:

> The question is: Is Boost (both at a
mission/governing-rule->set/axiomatic
>level as well as at a society-of-people/psychological level) willing to
>permit multiple libraries on substantially the same topic which
unavoidably
>compete with each other within Boost & outside of Boost for mindshare?

I, for one, don't have a problem with two Boost libraries having
overlapping functionality, provided they are significantly different, and
each has applications areas where it would be clearly superior to the
other.

But if two libraries differ only in minor ways, it would just be divisive
to include both in Boost.

In other words, there has to be some advantage to having overlapping
libraries. Otherwise we are better off improving a single library, rather
than splitting effort between overlapping libraries.

--Beman