From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-14 17:12:57

At 10:27 AM 6/6/2002, James Curran/MVP wrote:

>(I couldn't find any mention of this in the archives, so I'm guess it
>hasn't
>been brought up before...)
>
> Has anyone given any thought to Boost.org joining Amazon.com's
>affiliate
>program? Since we already list several recommended books on the
>bibliography page, and, in fact have one book already about a Boost
library
>plus another one going, it would seem only natural.
>
>It would just involve filling out an online form on Amazon's site, and
then
>putting links from the mention of the books here, to their page at
Amazon.

>The upshot of all this, is that if someone follows the link from
Boost.org
>to Amazon and buys a book, Boost get a commission (5%, which considering
>the
>cost of tech books, is about $2.50 each), which should go a small way to
>off-setting the cost of running the website, which I assume is coming out

>of someone's (Beaman's?) pocket.

Yes, but the expense is minor, and doesn't involve any additional
paperwork.

As long as Boost is a zero-budget operation, it doesn't have to be
incorporated or file any tax returns.

Once money is involved, we'd have to deal with those issues, and the
aggravation just isn't worth it. There are also the issues of commercial
ties, US centric links, etc.

Thanks for the thought, but right now I'd rather keep things simple!

--Beman