From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-18 06:26:08

>From: "James Curran" <JamesCurran_at_[hidden]>

> I'm writing an article describing some code where I use
> boost::shared_ptr<>. In the article, I plan on stating: "Considering it's
> general utility, and growing use, [shared_ptr] will almost certainly be
> added to the Standard Library when the next C++ Standard is complete
(circa
> 2005 or so), so it safe to start using now."
>
> How accurate do we feel that statement is?

Well, it's likely that auto_ptr will get company, in the revised standard
library. However, what form another smart pointer would have, is something
else. There's been discussion about policy-based smart pointers, as well.

Nevertheless, it's safe to use shared_ptr, of course, or anything else in
Boost, or another library. After all, you can use it, even if it's not in
the standard. Boost is widely regarded, anyway.

Regards,

Terje