From: Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-20 12:19:06

--- David Abrahams <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Several times in the past we've discussed changing the name of the template
> in <boost/type.hpp>. Now I want to make a function template called type<>
> in the boost Python library, and various older compilers get confused if I
> make it accessible in boost::python::. I am thinking that it should at
> least be moved into detail::. Thoughts?

I am not familiar with the old discussion, so forgive me if this is redundant:

Here is what somehow evolved out of necessity in my environment (to give this
some street cred: I define myself as a scientific programmer):

template <class T> struct type_holder { typedef T type; };

Conclusion:

Keep type<> in namespace boost, but maybe rename it.
Add the extra typedef to make it more useful (and remove the MSVC remark).

Ralf