From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-09 18:37:47

Looks good. Here are my nits:

+<p>The implementation of these operators requires the compiler to
+implement the NRVO (named return value optimization) correctly to
+prevent creating a temporary object. For compilers that don't support
+the NRVO the code will still work,

Well then the implementation doesn't "require" the NRVO. The implementation
is more efficient if the NRVO is implemented.

+ but there is an alternative
+implementation style which will create fewer objects in this
+case. This alternative implementation style copies one of the
+arguments by value instead of creating a local copy. This has two
+drawbacks: The implementation is no longer symmetric

You need to explain what "symmetric" means. And
why should the user care if the implementation is symmetric?

+ and the operators
+signature differs.

>From what? You have to say.

+ Most users will not care much about this, as the
+asymmetric behaviour will only show up if your class has side-effects
+for copying object,
"objects"?---^^^^^^
+like counting the number of object created. The
"objects"?-------------------^^^^^^
+signature is not important as long as you don't take a pointer (or
+reference) to the operator. The config system will try to find the
+best implementation for your compiler automatically, but if your code
+relies on the exact symmetry or the operators signature to be as
+documented, you should set

Why not always keep the signature symmetric and make the copy inside the
function when there's no NRVO?

My only other complaint concerns the duplication of the Wrapped1<> class
template in various testing files. Code duplication == bad ;-)

-Dave