From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-15 09:07:19

From: "Toon Knapen" <toon.knapen_at_[hidden]>

> > [dwa] You might consider including a constant called "_" which stands
in
> > for range::all().

> Probably this is too short. In that case, two underscores would be
better.

But illegal. It's reserved to the C++ implementation.

> > Personally, it's still all Greeek to me ;-)

> well, this is a real-life example not some textbook example. That's also
the
> reason that I'm bringing it up, it's important too look how ublas is used
in
> real-life LA codes.
> Feel free to suggest some other/more syntax simplifications ?

I wish I could. I really wish we could use colon notation in C++.
I don't think we have enough operators available to make this any prettier.

> > Why is an .assign() member function being used instead of operator= ?
> > I thought uBlas had expression templates!?
>
> AFAIK, the assign assumes that there's no aliasing between lhs and rhs.
> Otherwise the rhs will first be stored in a temporary.

Ah, thanks.

One idea to consider:

    x.assign() = blah blah blah

would at least set the LHS off from the rhs a little better.

-Dave