From: John Maddock (john_maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-20 06:42:35

> Good name.
>
> > (I didn't check the reason for the failure on MSVC)
>
> Yes, MSVC is from where my proposal originated... Its behavior is
> slightly different from GCC.
>
> So I guess what we really need are two macros:
> * BOOST_NO_USING_DECLARATION_OVERLOADS
> * BOOST_NO_USING_DECLARATION_OVERLOADS_FROM_TYPENAME_BASE (long ugly
> name -- any suggestions?)
>
> I've attached test files; someone else might want to check them out,
> however.

OK, however unless your code actually differentiates between these two
problems lets stick with one macro if we can :-)

> And to answer John Maddock's question: this is needed (in more ways than
> one) by the Boost.Variant library under development by Itay Maman and
> me.

Got it, in that case let's defer adding any new macros until the lib is at
least up for review - that way we'll have a better idea what the final code
will actually need.

John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/index.htm