From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-22 21:59:10

At Monday 2002/07/22 10:12, you wrote:

> > From: "Victor A. Wagner, Jr." <vawjr_at_[hidden]>
>
> > I think you missed the point.... NOBODY is suggesting relative paths
>
> Certainly, it is *you* who dismissively missed the point.
>
> /usr/include/sys/dir.h is an absolute pathname because it starts with
> root.
> /etc/hosts is an absolute pathname because it starts with root.
> sys/dir.h is a relative pathname because it does not start with root.
> hosts (a lone filename without directory) is a relative pathname
> because it does not start with root.
>
> More to the point (quoting from the subject line itself), dispelling
> your fictional wanna-be-trump-card claim that "NOBODY" is discussing
> relative paths, in #include <boost/...> to #include "boost/...", the
> boost/... itself is a relative pathname because it does not start with
> the root directory.

If you are asserting that anything that doesn't start with '/' (a system
specific and not relevant to the OS I use most of the time) are relative,
then we have a severe disagreement on the meaning of what the standard is
saying.

> I could have written #include <filename>/"filename" instead of #include
> <relativePathname>/"relativePathname", but that would exclude such
> pertinent examples as #include <boost/foo.hpp>/"boost/foo.hpp". I could
> have written #include <pathname>/"pathname", but that
> superclass-concept/superordinate would have included irrelevant absolute
> pathnames which I intentionally wanted to overtly exclude.
>
> Now that we all have the remedial entry-level prerequisite knowledge
> straight---crawl walk run---please re-read my posting as it will make a
> lot more sense to you now, since you evidently did not have the necessary
> prerequisite knowledge the first time around.

Thank you for your elicidation.

> By the way Victor A. Wagner Jr, I find your socio-politically-motivated
> signature line very offensive and thoroughly inappropriate for
> Boost. Please remove it. Please ensure that it will not appear in any
> of your future postings to Boost.

No, your offense is something that is internal to you. I have no control
over what you find offensive.

Victor A. Wagner Jr. http://rudbek.com
PGP RSA fingerprint = 4D20 EBF6 0101 B069 3817 8DBF C846 E47A
PGP D-H fingerprint = 98BC 65E3 1A19 43EC 3908 65B9 F755 E6F4 63BB 9D93
               "There oughta be a law"