From: David (David_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-23 13:08:11

Your comments:
> It seems you cannot use it with typenames that easily; it depends on
virtual
> tables and you'll have to prepare your pointee type similarly to
> detail::counted_base derivatives. I'm still not convinced this complexity
/
> benefits ratio is better.

don't apply to Loki::SmartPtr any better than they did to the BOOST
policy-Based Smart pointer. If you're familiar with Loki::SmartPtr then you
should be familiar with policy-based smart pointers, because Loki::SmartPtr
is an excellent example of one...

By "wrap typenames with a real class" I assume you mean that the user must
explicitly specialize the smartPtr with the name of a concrete class? This
hardly seems onerous- it is very simply usage of a templated class.

I'm afraid I don't understand your comment:
> It will become difficult to manage if you are pointing to a children of
> class inheriting mutiple times the same parent for example.

Please explain this- how does this affect using a smart ptr? Or the design
of a smart ptr?

David Brownstein