From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-24 13:15:42

> So then the Jamfile in the /build should only build libraries
> and examples and have a separate Jamfile for the tests? I'm

No, build/Jamfile should only build the library (If one exist)
example/Jamfile should build examples
test/Jamfile should build tests

> no Jam expert here, but I presume in that structure the
> /build (library Jamfile) will have to be included in the
> /test Jamfile to ensure the library is built?

no. I just mention ../build/<lib-name> as a source for your test

> > In general we should strive to keep all testing under <lib-name>/test
> > subdirectory; all build rules under <lib-name>/build all docs under
> > <lib-name>/docs. IOW I would prefer if gdtl testing structure would look
> > like
> > $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/test
> > $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/test/gregorian
> > $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/test/posix_time
> >
> > Even if library subcomponent are completely independent I would prefer
still
> > stick to per-library based building/testing/documenting and so on.
>
> That can be done, but then the structure is a bit inconsistent. If we
> do this then for consistency I would want:
> libs/gdtl/examples/gregorian
> examples/posix_time
> libs/gdtl/src/gregorian
> src/posix_time

building/testing/documenting and *examples*

> etc.
>
> I think when this structure was invented we looked at other boost
libraries
> with sublibraries for guidance (numeric and math). You will note that the
> state of the practice is not consistent. For example:
>
> numeric <-- no test dir here
> numeric/ublas/test1
> numeric/ublas/test2
ublas has it's own issues with testing. Their currect tests are unusable at
all for regression testing. Tests directory naming is minor issue. Though I
thing it should also follow the convention.

> math/test
> math/octoinion <-- test file here
> math/quaternion <-- test file here too

Math does not follow conversions at all. It had Jamfile in <lib directory> .
and this Jamfile does not use testing.jam

> So we decided to be at least self-consistent....
>
> Jeff

I don't no. I still would prefer t obe able just to go into <lib>/test and
type bjam and it should test everything.

Gennadiy.