From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-24 12:47:15

> This Jamfile may define all test targets itself or it could include other
> Jamfiles. For example for gdtl
> $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/test/Jamfile should include
> $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/gregorian/test/Jamfile and
>
> $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/posix_time/test/Jamfile

So then the Jamfile in the /build should only build libraries
and examples and have a separate Jamfile for the tests? I'm
no Jam expert here, but I presume in that structure the
/build (library Jamfile) will have to be included in the
/test Jamfile to ensure the library is built?

> In general we should strive to keep all testing under <lib-name>/test
> subdirectory; all build rules under <lib-name>/build all docs under
> <lib-name>/docs. IOW I would prefer if gdtl testing structure would look
> like
> $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/test
> $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/test/gregorian
> $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/gdtl/test/posix_time
>
> Even if library subcomponent are completely independent I would prefer still
> stick to per-library based building/testing/documenting and so on.

That can be done, but then the structure is a bit inconsistent. If we
do this then for consistency I would want:
  libs/gdtl/examples/gregorian
            examples/posix_time
  libs/gdtl/src/gregorian
            src/posix_time

etc.

I think when this structure was invented we looked at other boost libraries
with sublibraries for guidance (numeric and math). You will note that the
state of the practice is not consistent. For example:

numeric <-- no test dir here
numeric/ublas/test1
numeric/ublas/test2

math/test
math/octoinion <-- test file here
math/quaternion <-- test file here too

So we decided to be at least self-consistent....

Jeff