From: Steven E. Harris (seharris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-26 15:53:05

Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Can you create std streams from their pipes?

Sure - though I haven't done it yet. The pipe exposes a read or write
handle (type ACE_HANDLE), which you can use in concert with
ACE_OS::read()/ACE_OS::write() to fill your stream buffer.

I wrote my own inter-thread pipe (a concurrent ring buffer) with
accompanying streambufs for reading or writing. The synchronization
primitives are from ACE (since we were already using it on our
project, and couldn't integrate Boost), but the rest is just plain
C++. It sounds like you need something to span processes, though, so
ACE_Pipe might do the trick.

--
Steven E. Harris        :: seharris_at_[hidden]
Raytheon                :: http://www.raytheon.com