From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-26 16:00:58

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Steven E. Harris wrote:
seharr> Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_[hidden]> writes:
seharr>
seharr> > Can you create std streams from their pipes?
seharr>
seharr> Sure - though I haven't done it yet. The pipe exposes a read or write
seharr> handle (type ACE_HANDLE), which you can use in concert with
seharr> ACE_OS::read()/ACE_OS::write() to fill your stream buffer.

I should have been more specific. Can you create std stream from their
pipes in a single line of code? :)

seharr> I wrote my own inter-thread pipe (a concurrent ring buffer) with
seharr> accompanying streambufs for reading or writing. The
seharr> synchronization primitives are from ACE (since we were already
seharr> using it on our project, and couldn't integrate Boost), but the
seharr> rest is just plain C++. It sounds like you need something to span
seharr> processes, though, so ACE_Pipe might do the trick.

Yep, just want to do simple stream IO between processes.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-3608