From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-29 22:06:32

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I was talking about my own experience. For example, MWCW handles
> dot-typelists so fast, I had doubts it compiled the code correctly :o).

MWCW is not the only compiler around here, nor it's the only one people use
in their everyday job.

> Even in cases where dot-lists are not supposed to be as efficient
> as vectors.

And they are not as efficient as vectors, even on MWCW.

> That is true, and I believe that by and large, a library for
> compile-time processing would be concerned with that
> (although to some compile time is in a sense "free"). The
> way C++'s template engine is structured, however, leads
> me to think that dot-lists are just fine.

There is no more relationship between "the way C++'s template engine is
structured" and "dot-lists" than between the former and iterator-based
algorithms.

> By the way, it would be convincing if MPL would come with
> examples that prove the advantages of its design.

Any algorithm that is more efficient with random-access iterators.

Aleksey