From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-06 04:08:53

Geez, I hate to have to chime in on Eric's side (since I disagree with some
of what he says), but it _should_ be the "stated" or "posted" will of the
community. I found the arguments ("they're not safe") for deleting
semaphore so specious that I gave up on attempting any further criticism.

Ben Franklin said (in respect to human interaction)"They that can give up
essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither
liberty nor safety."
I believe the same applies here. Refusing to implement some method of
being able to pass an exception (ok, maybe not ALL exceptions, I personally
find the concept of "throw 7;" to be an abomination of the body of C++)
across thread boundaries because it's not "safe' disappointing.

axiom1: there is no such thing as "absolute safety".
axiom2: attempting to reach "absolute safety" is like searching for the
"end of the rainbow"
axiom3: doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results
(e.g. "we have achieved absolute safety") is insanity.
axiom4: many things are inherently dangerous

I'm suggesting that we quit using "it might not be safe if misused" as a
mantra. It's a consideration, that's all. "Gee, this might be unsafe if I
misuse it...I'd better be careful."

We're not children here. We handle dangerous things every day (knives,
driving, etc).
The language cannot protect against a lot of things that will cause the
program to blow up, why are we so worried about this one?

as the guy in the next office said...waaaay back when: "If you make a
system that even a fool can use, only a fool will use it." Dennis J. Maine