From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-07 12:11:33

At 10:28 PM 8/6/2002, Rene Rivera wrote:

>Just took a look at the generated file... It seems that writting a Jam
>script to do the same would be possible (and relatively easy/short).
After
>all header scanning is built in.

Originally, I just used a gcc switch that generates dependencies. I had to
abandon that because what a build system considers dependencies and what a
reporting system considers dependencies aren't exactly the same thing.

We've been working since before the first of the year trying to get the
build system to run regression tests. While it finally sort of works
(still misses the need to rebuild sometimes, still doesn't generate
timings, still spreads results among a host of residue files, etc) it has
given me the idea that the Build system is good at builds, but not at other
things, even if they are very similar to builds.

I don't mean to be harsh, but the header dependency scan as needed for a
table is really simple, so I'd rather stick to simple tools to perform it.
The more difficult problem to me seems how to report the information
recovered.

--Beman