From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-08 08:22:18

At 11:09 PM 8/7/2002, Rene Rivera wrote:

>What your are suggesting is that we deduce library dependencies from the
>header dependencies?

Yes, that's the mechanics of it.

But the first step is to decide that what we really want to report is
library dependencies. What is your take on that?

>Is the structure in boost sufficiently static at this point to make use
of
>or enforce something like this:
>
>* Things of the form "boost/*.hpp" are Boost.Base (if we had such a
thing).
>* That things of the form "boost/<subdir>/*.hpp... are in their
respective
>Boost.<Library>.
>
>If that where true then building a dependency graph at the library level
is
>possible from the headers themselves.

Yes, I think so.

One way to know what library a header belongs to is to require that headers
include a comment that identifies the library. Just change the format of
comment we already recommend, and make it mandatory, at least in non-detail
headers.

   // See http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/doc/index.html for
documentation.

That has advantages for the human reader of the header, too.

What's the reaction to that?

--Beman