From: Greg Colvin (Gregory.Colvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-08 12:35:50

At 08:23 AM 08/08/2002, Philippe A. Bouchard wrote:
>> > I'm sure C++ support of C headers implies integers are size of a machine
>> > word in C++.
>>
>> Philippe,
>>
>> That's not even true in 'C'. The concept of a "machine word" never appears
>> in either of the standards.
>
>Well nearly everything is based on this assumption, starting with the Linux
>kernel.

Have you read the Linux kernel? If not, you will find it an excellent
lesson in how to organize your software so as to separate portable code
from processor-specific code. You might also check out the extensive
Boost discussions on aligned storage. It has been many years since one
could just assume that an int is a machine word.