From: Lars Gullik Bjønnes (larsbj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-10 09:14:08

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

| Gennadiy's Boost.Test unit_test_development branch is ready, and I was
| about to "merge" it into the main CVS trunk.
|
| But a "merge" isn't the right CVS operation. We don't want the
| contents of files in the unit_test_development branch to be merged
| with the contests of the corresponding files in the main trunk.
|
| Instead, we want the unit_test_development files to replace the
| corresponding files in the main trunk.
|
| What is the best way to do this with CVS? Better yet, with WinCVS?
|
| The only way I could figure out was to update my working copy to the
| branch, copy all the files somewhere CVS doesn't know about, update to
| the main truck, copy the files back, and then commit as if they were
| changes or additions. There must be an easier way, but the books and
| manuals are silent.

I guess the easiest is to have two trees checked out, one with the
changes one without...

and then create a diff

diff -ruN --exclude=CVS old-tree new-tree

Of course you have to scan the resulting diff for files that should
not be in it etc.

When you are happy with the diff, just patch it on top of the
old-tree.

I do not belive that CVS can do this directly for you

--
	Lgb