From: Philippe A. Bouchard (philippeb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 00:52:04

> >Uhh... pool is an accelerated memory allocator, but still is a memory
> >allocator. If we would use the standard malloc(), reconstruction of
> >containers would be like allocating a separate reference count. Also
get()
> >is not that slow: 1 more second for 1000 sorts of a 10000 element
container.

> I'm not sure of the tradeoffs, but you have to allocate a
> reference count anyway, no? And you are paying an extra
> cost in space of about N*(N/2) offsets for a system with
> N ptr<> types, yes?

For N pointee allocations:
extra size = 2 x sizeof(int) x N.

The reference count is allocated at the same time the pointed object is and
takes 2 extra integers in size. Yes I take 1 integer for the type
identification but don't we forget that the system memory map is smaller
(thus faster).

Philippe A. Bouchard