From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 00:53:02

I'm not sure if this ptr<> type under discussion works this way, but in
general you can't conformingly use char* arithmetic with offsets to find
the sub-parts of non-POD types. I had a *long* discussion thread with John
Spicer of EDG about this, since I had to solve the same sort of problem to
handle inheritance in Boost.Python v2. Eventually, I decided I was willing
to use that technique only as an optimization, in case I ran into a
platform where it wouldn't work.

FWIW-ly y'rs,
Dave

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting