From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 11:02:04

Bill,

Your design is good, probably the only rational one for all possible
thread cases (worker threads, asynchronous calls etc.) I have no problem
with that, although I would rather have a more "embedded" variant, which
would be quite hard to define so that the behavior is consistent in all
the above thread cases.

As an example that there are alternative applications of the C++
Standard onto MT C++: one, fundamentalist, reading of The C++ Standard
gives that each thread should be born with the default behavior for
uncaught exceptions (i.e., unexpected --> terminate --> ending thread).
Thus, the handler vector would need to be reset for the thread. The code
run by the thread should be able to count on that default behavior.
I.e., one should not be allowed to change the unexpected--terminate
behavior before triggering that thread...

So, your design is good, but not the only logical extension of C++ to MT
C++. Another logical extension would be to override "set_XXX_handler" so
that each thread hosts its own handler vector, making them reside in a
C++ compliant environment.

/David