From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 16:13:16

> >1. I am planning to add test case some basic timing really soon.

> That may be redundant. Boost already has a timer library. See
> www.boost.org/libs/timer/timer.htm

In fact boost/timer is what I had in mind for implementing timing. Boost.Test has already dependency on timer library anyway.

> Plus, we need the ability to time execution regardless of whether on > not a
> test program uses Boost.Test. Thus the bjam framework has to provide > the
> time. Compiles, links, and lib events, need to be timed too, and the > bjam
> framework is the only place to do that.

On the other hand Boost.Test users are not required to use bjam but still could be interecting in timing.

> >2. On some (UNIX) systems test case timeout could be set right now. At some point I will try to tuckle windows timeouts.

> I've already got contributions of Win32 timeouts from two people. But
> nowadays, we've got Boost Threads, so we might think of a generalized
> approach. The only trouble with that is the dependency issue; since we use
> Boost.Test to test Boost.Threads, it may not be a hot idea to make
> Boost.Test dependent on Boost.Threads:-(

Yes, we do not want such dependency probably. I just hope that resolution that is used by Boost.Threads in some simplified form could be applied to Boost.Test.

> >4. I am planning to add named test case run soon. This way regression
test
> >facility could run only validating test cases/suites.

> Could you explain that a bit more?

Libtary test program may have several test cases separated into two groups: validating tests and performance benchmarking tests. One could have two test suites named let say: "unit_test" and "benchmark". Boost.Test will support run test cases/suites by name, so one would run just validating test like this:

<program name> --run_tests "unit_test".

To run only benchmarking tests one would use:

<program name> --run_tests "benchmark".

> --Beman

Gennadiy.

A free email account your friends will never forget!
Get YOURNAME_at_[hidden] at http://www.emailaccount.com/

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email_at_[hidden] by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag