From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-12 10:03:15

How long is it reasonable for a regression test to run?

Tests that take a long time cause several problems:

* They're hard on the regression testers, who often have to run tests over
and over while diagnosing a problem.

* Boost.Test Version 2 has the ability to "time-out" a test, under the
assumption it is looping. We need to know where to set that time-out
point.

A specific example: the operators_test run has a probe (with a random
number) it runs 10,000 times. On the 2 GHz Pentium used to run the Win32
tests, that takes 33 seconds (Borland) to 111 seconds (Intel). Say an
average of 60 seconds. That means total time for this one test of from
five to ten minutes, depending on how many compilers are in the mix.

I'd like to see a 5 second maximum each for both compiles and runs on the
main regression test.

Of course, a library would be free to include compiles and runs which take
any length of time, as long as they aren't included in the main tests.

Comments?

--Beman

PS: For now I'm dropping the operators_test probes to 1,000.