From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 08:57:34

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> At 05:17 PM 8/12/2002, William E. Kempf wrote:
>
> >> The trick would be to do it in a way that automates the introduction
> into
> >> status tables.
> >>
> >> For example, say the boost::shared_ptr test program wrote this to
cout:

> >> <metric type="space" description="shared_ptr<> size"
> >> unit="bytes" value="8"></metric>
> >>
> >> Then reporting programs which were interested in could include these
> >> results in their output. No cost to test programs which don't wish to
> >> report any size, no cost to reporting programs which don't care to
> report
> >> size metrics. No manual intervention.
> >
> >Contrary to the marketing of XML, that's really not a format that's very
> >readable to users.
>
> But humans would not be the main readers. Various post-process
converters,
> typically to HTML, would be the most common readers.

I disagree. During development I run the Boost.Threads regression tests
extremely frequently, and would expect other developers do the same thing.
I rely on meaningful output from these tests. Running the full regression
test procedure just to produce readable HTML for this is only going to slow
down my development.

Bill Kempf