From: Dave Gomboc (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 23:29:29

> I really hope that is just a faulty recollection; std::exception should
> always be the ultimate base class for all user-defined exceptions in any
> good design, especially libraries (except maybe under very specialized
> circumstances).
[snip]
> Hillel Y. Sims
[snip]

The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Ed. section 14.10 includes

    "The standard exceptions are derived from [std::]exception. However,
not every exception is, so it would be a mistake to try to catch every
exception by catching [std::]exception. Similarly, it would be a mistake
to assume that every exception derived from [std::]exception is a standard
library exception: programmers can add their own exceptions to the
[std::]exception hierarchy.

I hope that's of some use? The quote doesn't really answer the question
of what BS _thinks_ should be the case, though... he just indicates how it
is. (I included the [std::] because I can't otherwise easily indicate
where the italics were.)

Dave

P.S. Some of the people in the threading discussion are really bad about
leaving a ton of quoted material around, which makes digests difficult to
read. I'd appreciate it if people took the time to chop what isn't
relevant.