From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-14 20:16:41

At 06:07 PM 8/14/2002, Jeff Garland wrote:

>> > fs::path start("/home");
>> ^^^^^^^^
>> Change this to:
>>
>> fs::path start("/home", fs::system_specific);
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

>Ok, that worked. So what would be the generic form?

There isn't any generic form at the moment. "/" will be fine if we want to
allow it, but I just don't know yet if the concept is portable.

Ditto "~".

To be portable, it isn't 100% required that all OS's have exactly the
"root" directory or "home" directory concept. Several popular
(multi-million user) operating systems don't.

But what would be required is a specification of reasonable behavior which
an implementor could apply for operating systems which don't themselves
supply directories matching these concepts.

Anyone out there familiar with, say, OpenMVS? Is there a reasonable
interpretation of the "root" concept on all filesystems for that OS?

--Beman