From: Douglas Paul Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-20 09:04:19

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Peter Dimov wrote:
> No, it's due to the fact that
>
> * People think that it's forbidden to compete with/within Boost;
> * People don't feel like putting a lot of effort into a library that's going
> to get rejected;
> * People don't want to alienate other Boost contributors by challenging
> their turf.

That seems a bit pessimistic. Most Boost library authors are open to
extension/revision of their libraries if something better comes along, and
aren't afraid to break backwards compatibility to make a library better.
Why write a new, competing library when any improvements in the new
library can just be merged with the old library?

Perhaps we just haven't seen a case where there was no clear winner
between proposed libraries.

        Doug