From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-21 09:28:52

From: "William E. Kempf" <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>

> From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
> > -w-8001 seems like a slam-dunk to me. Go ahead and patch
borland-tools.jam
> > if you like.
> > -w-8080 seems a little bit less like a great idea. That warning can
help
> > keep flotsam and jetsam out of our code.
> >
> > There are several ways to suppress unused variable warnings explicitly:
> >
> > (void)x; // works with most compilers
> >

> > template <class T> inline void unused(T const&) {}
> > unused(x); // works with all compilers, AFAIK
>
> And I suggested adding this construct to Boost at one point. I'd like to
> re-raise that suggestion. Though it's not precisely a config concept, it
is
> used solely to suppress warnings usually caused by "portable" constructs,
so
> I'd be happy to see this in <boost/config.hpp>, though anywhere else
would
> work as well.

I'm fine with that.

There's a parallel function called "force_instantiate()" which should also
be available (see boost/python/detail.hpp).

I suggest the utility library for these.
Who will write them up and document them? I declare that no formal review
is needed!

-Dave

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting