From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-21 10:13:51

Hello libcwd!

Recently libcwd has raised some interest among the Boost developers
(www.boost.org). In particular, Neal Becker has been looking at it to help
with making a Boost stack backtrace component. I'm not sure what Neal's
intentions are, exactly, but I get the impression he's interested in
building an external demangling tool for Unix around libcwd. I'll let him
fill in details, if he chooses. My interests center around one particular
component, the demangle_type() function. I need exactly that functionality,
as described in

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2002-June/001277.html.

For my application, an external tool is really not acceptable; I need to
integrate the code for transforming the type into the Boost.Python library.
However, there are at least two problems:

1. A dependency on all of libcwd would really be inappropriate for me
2. libcwd's Q license seems to forbid grabbing a subset of the source
3. The Q license is incompatible with Boost licensing policies:
    http://www.boost.org/more/lib_guide.htm#License

I wonder if the libcwd developers would be interested in making a
"boostified" library out of just the demangle_type() function? It would be
sad if these two free library projects were unable to share code.

-Dave

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting