From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-23 11:31:20

Anthony,

What is the type of the sub expression "a*b"? If it is an "int" it needs
to hold a specific number of bits, which is not to exceed the number of
bits held by "long".

What I am opposing is the 2^32 (or whatever the cardinality of "int" is
on the particular platform) out-of-band values.

Well, I thought C++ was a strongly typed language in the extended sense
of each (sub)expression confining to one type... If the "a*b/c" is
allowed to transcend those types in between the sub expression and the
full expression, then I know better.

/David