From: Carlo Wood (carlo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-30 11:43:37

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 12:27:58PM -0400, Rob Stewart wrote:
> Your approach requires the creation of a named temporary and an
> awkward calling sequence. (Yes, I recall that you discussed a
> wrapper that provides that interface, but there's no need for the
> wrapper as demangle() doesn't need to be performance conscious.)

I feel that we concentrate too much on debugging.
You never know what people will start to use this library for;
I like to provide something that is flexible enough to be
used in yet unknown circumstances. I was surprised too that
I had to write my own demangler for libcwd - perhaps some other
developer will ALSO need to be able to pass his own allocator.
Perhaps others WILL be bothered by a seemingly needless copy
of a string.

But, if someone with authority (sorry, but I don't know any of
you guys - so it is hard to judge the experience and authority
behind the remarks of anyone) tells me the interface we came
up with is too dirty then I won't make a big problem of putting
it in boost::details or whatever - just as long as it is there
(and the documentation that it exists can be found by a fellow
developer who _needs_ that more general interface).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]>