From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-04 12:21:49

Peter,

No your suggestion is not a natural equivalence relation. It is not a
proper equivalence relation at all, since it is not reflexive.

Obviously, you cannot bypass reflexivity, meaning that truly identical
elements always have to be equivalent, so [1, 2] == [1, 2], no matter
what equivalence relation we pick. Sorry.

"But hey, what is it that says that [1, 2] is identical to [1, 2]? Uh?"

Well, first of all, in C++ intensional semantics, two objects are
identical if they occupy the same memory-based object, so if (sorry for
not using exact syntax): ' a = [1, 2] ' then ' a == a ' should hold.
But, you might not agree, since in your "equivalence" relation it does
not...

And then we have extensional identity, where a compound object is
identical to another one if their constituents are identical, such as
[1, 2] == [1, 2].

Then we also have algebraic identity, where two elements are identical
if they can replace eachother in any expression, such as [1, 2] and [1,
2]...

I hope you see my point by now, by *any* identity measurement, [1, 2]
and [1, 2] (occupying the same memory chunk or not) are identical and
therefore *must* belong to the same equivalence class.

The *only* natural equivalence relation on arithmetic interval, and the
one I referred to, was this one, of identical elements.

I do not want to use hard words, but what is it that makes people forget
that '<=' is pronounced "less than or equal" and should *always* be
"less than" or "equal", or in C++ syntax ' a < b || a == b '. There is
no choice here. "Well, that is your opinion".
It is not about syntax, cause one might want to, as you did, define '=='
as a relation not being an equivalence at all. But we are talking about
logical semantics, where that is not possible.

I will welcome the arithmetic interval library as soon as it has a
logically sound ordering and equivalence relation, being consistent with
that one, and they somehow deal with the dependence on transcendental
operations being defined (yes, I know it will compile anyhow...)

My suggestion for ordering and equivalence is

1. '<' as is
3. '==' as (extensional or algebraic) identity, i.e., [a, b] == [c, d]
iff a == c && b == d

Obviously, (3) has to deal with inifinities, by extending the limit
class to one including such extended elements. I.e., in
interval<double>, the end points cannot be double, but rather
extended_num<double>, with conversion operators and all that...

/David