From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-09 12:46:38

>From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>

> At 11:56 AM 9/9/2002, =?Windows-1252?Q?Terje_Sletteb=F8?= wrote:
>
> >More or less all editors have support for
> >tabs, and for setting the tab size.
>
> What has happened in the past was something like this:
>
> * Developer A of library has tabs set for 4.
> * Developer B commits trivial fix. Developer B's editor had tabs set at 2,
> but converted tabs on the changed line only to spaces.

Oppsie.

> It resulted in messed up source files.
>
> We even had several files only touched by a single developer, but
sometimes
> spaces were used, and sometimes tabs.
>
> Again, it resulted in messed up source files.

I understand. Well, either you use only spaces, or tabs and spaces, you have
to use it consistently. It's just that it's hard to enforce the tabs and
spaces practice.

I also see now that Dave gave another reason: Code pasted to the list would
have to be converted from tabs to spaces.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Regards,

Terje