From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-12 18:49:57

From: "Carlo Wood" <carlo_at_[hidden]>

> > www.boost.org
> > www.boost.org/tools/build/index.html
> > www.boost.org/tools/build/build_system.htm
>
> Ok. With as goal to improve the documentation
> so that others won't 'fall into the same trap',
> I think that the old files on yahoo should be
> removed;

Already done.

> and there should be an addition to the FAQ
> that answers:
>
> "What kind of build system do boost libraries use?"
>
> (so that there is a link from the FAQ)

Good idea.

> What also is confused me is that "Install & Build"
> (on the main page) gives me the feeling: That is information
> for USERS of boost of how to build a download, and not
> information for DEVELOPERS of boost of how to write a
> build system.

True. Others have also asked for that sort of a tutorial. Unfortunately,
those of us working on Boost.Build are reluctant to spend any more time on
v1-specific documentation since we have so little time to work on v2.

> Hence that I clicked on "Boost (Developers)"
> (just cause it contained the word 'developers', instead
> of on "Install & Build"). A more clear seperation between
> information for users (howto build) and developers (how
> to write a build system) is needed imho.

Yup.

> A normal approach is to add a single link on the front
> page "for developers", and add links to helpful information
> for developers on that page. I have the feeling that
> links to this information is rather mixed at the moment
> (links of both kinds on the same page).

Heh. Boost users are developers, or such has been the prevailing
philosophy. I think it's less and less valid as time goes by, though.

> Hope this helps to improve the documentation in that
> respect.

I think your ideas are terrific. We should definitely have separate "users"
and "developers" links on the front page. Well, that leads to a whole reorg
of the site, which is long overdue as well. We really need a "Boost Website
Wizard" to step up and volunteer. I'm not asking you, because of your RSI.
Bueller? Anyone?

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting