From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-14 16:32:26

> > > It would be nice to implement access to a zip or tar file, for example,
> > > as a read-only filesystem. (Or maybe even read-write!)
>
> Yeah, that was my original idea. That is the main advantage of using
> packages. However, compression is beyond the scope of the FileSystem
> library, so imho it should be written on top of it.
>
> > A tar file shouldn't be too difficult, not sure about a gzipped tar file.
> > have two weeks with not much to do coming up so I might be able to try and
> > get something that can read from a .tar file in the same interface as the
> > B::FS classes.
>
> Sounds great. I would definitely be using that.

I think this would be a really valueable challenge to test the filesystem
interfaces and evaluate the extesibility of the current implementation.
I have had a note to try out this exact scenario with the FS lib, but
just haven't had time.

As for the compression that is is separate issue. I posted a compressing
stream buffer (using zlib) some time ago: