From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-20 06:54:17

Keith Burton wrote:
> If one uses
>
> string relative_path("libs/locale");
>
> that is a relative path is remains a string until converted to a (
> absolute ) path.
> The conversion to absolute can be relative to any absolute path.

    path x(...) ;
    string relative_path("libs/locale");
    x << relative_path

How will the third line work? Currently, relative_path will be converted
to path, which will make it absolute in your scheme. Also, joining too
relative paths will become less convenient.

    string relative_path("libs/locale");
    string relative_path2("ru_RU.KOI8-R");

    relative_path += "/" + relative_path2 ;

> With regard to the UI , the absolute path may be unpleasant but it may
> also be the saviour as it explains why the operation failed if the
> current directory was not as expected when the relative path was
> converted to absolute.

But the programmer should be able to choose, I think.

- Volodya