From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-20 18:24:36

The more I think about scoped_ptr the harder it gets to justify using it.
It still has explicit transfer-of-ownership via reset(), though there's no
implicit transfer-of-ownership. In some sense, std::auto_ptr<T> const is a
better candidate for the role that I've always thought scoped_ptr was
playing, since there is no reset() member. The case where you need to
default construct a smart pointer and later initialize it is enough of a
corner that I'd be inclined to recommend a straight-up auto_ptr for that. I
guess the only downside to auto_ptr for that role is the
automatically-generated copy constructor and assignment operator. When we
get move_ptr
(http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2002/n1377.htm#move_ptr%
20Example) we'll be all set ;-)

-Dave