From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-21 13:20:13
From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
> Tell me. I'm trying to describe the evolution of shared_ptr now, and it
> seems to me that the extra pointer supports:
> Derived->Base conversion when there's no virtual destructor
> What else?
* shared_ptr<Base> when there's no _accessible_ ~Base, to prevent deletion;
* Template parameter being an incomplete type at destruction time;
* Using shared_ptr<void> to retain ownership but strip type information
(similar to void*);
* Encapsulating allocation details via custom deallocators;
* Passing shared_ptr's across EXE/DLL boundaries that use different heaps.
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk