From: Daniel Lidström (daniel.lidstrom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-21 13:14:14

>Oh. I build Cygwin libraries all the time with the .lib suffix; it works
>just fine.

Where is the logic in that??? cygwin libraries are built using gcc so the
output files should be .a and .so files, anything else is not expected,
since cygwin is a kind of unix clone.

>The key with bjam is not to try to build bjam itself under Cygwin. Just use
>the regular Win32 build from the Boost website. We've tried to get the
>Cygwin build of bjam to work a couple of times, but there are problems and
>nobody's had time to diagnose them.

I am using the bjam from the boost website. What has this got to do with my
question anyway?

> If you insist on .a files, you could try setting SUFLIB=.a, either in
>your environment:
>
> bash> export SUFLIB=.a
>
> or on the bjam command-line:
>
> bash> bjam -sSUFLIB=.a ...

Are you saying that .lib files produced by visual c++ have the same format
as library files produced by gcc under cygwin?

When I compiled the threads library I specified sTOOLS=gcc, yet it produced
.lib files. Is that the behaviour under linux, solaris, etc, as well? Seems
strange to me.

Thanks!

/Daniel