From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-30 14:50:14

From: "Samuel Krempp" <krempp_at_[hidden]>

> > "" is irrelevant in this case.
> > Boost headers are included with <>, so if a compiler supports distinct
> > search paths, our build system is putting the boost root directory in
the
> > <> path, not the "" path.
>
> Is this a definite boost policy ?
> I hesitated, and chose '#include "foo.h"' style in format's headers.
> And I see that type_traits, shared_container_iterator, multi_array,
> dynamic_bitset and any also use this kind of includes.

There has been some debate about what *should* be done. Many people have
strong feelings about it, but there appears to be no objective standard we
can use to decide.

However, I should note that using #include "..." for boost is a relatively
recent practice in the scheme of things. I think type_traits are only that
way now because Aleksey made the change when he repackaged that library. I
am afraid that a proliferation of different practices within boost is
eventually going to cause us a major problem, since "" vs. <> matters to
some tools.

> (I could not find a way to search the ML for potential past discussions
> on this subject.. searching for 'include' obviously yields hundreds of
> messages, while "" and <> do not work that well, as it seems search
> engines never bother to provide a way for escaping special characters..)

Go to http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/boost/ and
search for "angle include"

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting